Friday, August 30, 2024

29 AUGUST 2024 – SOUTHERN COUNTRY PARK

I hadn’t been out much locally for a couple of weeks, largely because I don’t like hot weather; so, the forecast for today - sunny with maximum temperature 23 degrees C - suited me well. I set out at 0940 hrs aiming to get to SCP before 10.00 hrs, which I did quite comfortably.

On the way I passed through Thorley Wedge, where I hoped to see butterflies at a large Buddleia, and in particular Painted Lady, which in the past have utilised the shrub to their advantage; but in fact, there were no butterflies whatsoever - not even one. So, disappointed I carried on to SCP taking the route near Sainsburys, at Thorley.

I’d also hoped to see Jersey Tiger moths - which I ‘d seen this time last year, but not this time. There were a couple of Commas; the odd Speckled Wood, and a few Holly Blues, which I assumed were 2nd brood. But nothing else of note.

I made straight for the walkway at the top of the lake, hoping to see dragonflies, but it was extremely quiet in this regard. Suddenly, a Brown Hawker came into view, scanning the water the whole length of the bed, but acting as if it was looking for a suitable place to settle. Sure enough, within a couple of minutes, the insect alighted on some dead vegetation along the northern ridge of the water, and I followed with my camera poised, managing just two shots before a couple of Mallards disturbed the Hawker, which promptly flew completely out of sight. There was a female Southern Hawker, scanning the waters edge on the opposite side of the walkway, but it didn’t land.

Nearby a species of Terrapin was lying out of the water on a cage of stones, looking considerably larger than when I first discovered it at this location, several years ago. Clearly, being abandoned by an irresponsible owner, who hadn’t realised how quickly they can grow in captivity, it is a practise that is sadly on the increase locally in recent years. But, although it seems to be thriving here, it’s presence is likely to have a detrimental effect on the larvae of dragonflies and damselflies, which form part of its diet, so it’s not really a welcome inmate.

I wandered slowly round the lake, looking for more dragonflies, but only came across several Common Darters, and a few Migrant Hawkers, with no sign whatsoever of any Willow Emerald Damselflies, which I’d found at the SE end of the lake in previous years. However, there is a small, secluded pond opposite the SW end of the lake, where I discovered a female Willow Emerald settled on a bramble - an area that I’ve never seen them in before. The camera was quickly deployed again, and one shot later the insect promptly flew away.

West of the lake is a large bank covered in wildflowers, and leading to Middle Wood and West Wood -  at the top. Here, there is a mixture of various species of Umbellifer; Oxeyes; Flea-bane; Thistles; Hawkweed; Teazle; some Vetch and large swathes of Scabious, and one might think excellent for butterflies ………………….but not this year it seems, with only a few Small Whites; a couple of Meadow Browns and three or four Speckled Woods being obvious. I did a complete circuit until at the bottom of The Wedge something a little different came into view…………………… a beautiful Painted Lady (my favourite butterfly). The camera was utilised as soon as I identified it, but it only settled briefly so I was only able to snatch just the one shot before the insect took off! But I was delighted, because it was the first I’d seen this year, and one of my target species for the day.

A brief walk in the Maze Field (an area set aside for wildflowers) produced nothing more than a single male Common Blue butterfly. The pond opposite St. James’s Church just outside the park boundary, was almost completely overgrown with reeds, so it was impossible to view the small area of exposed water in the middle (which on previous years held a tiny population of Small, Red-eyed Damselflies). The reeds had really taken a hold here, so I doubted if any species of Odonata were present this year; but hopefully, some overdue pond maintenance might help for next year.

I’d almost set myself a time-limit for being out (largely because I’d brought very limited provisions); but I managed to get back home just five minutes ‘late’ at 13.05 hrs. Still, nearly four hours after setting out was adequate, and pretty tiring I must confess. But I was pleased to have seen the Willow Emerald Damselfly and the Painted Lady butterfly.

COMMA BUTTERFLY

HOLLY BLUE BUTTERFLY

BROWN HAWKER

TERRAPIN Sp

COMMON DARTER (M)

PAINTED LADY BUTTERFLY
 
WILLOW EMERALD DAMSELFLY (F)



No comments:

Post a Comment

29 AUGUST 2024 – SOUTHERN COUNTRY PARK I hadn’t been out much locally for a couple of weeks, largely because I don’t like hot weather; so,...