Tuesday, July 21, 2026

20 JULY 2026 - THORLEY WEDGE and SOUTHERN COUNTRY PARK (SCP)

I started out from my house at 0850 hrs heading for Southern Country Park, Bishop’s Stortford via Thorley Wedge. It was sunny and warm, with a light NE breeze, so I was hopeful that I could connect with dragonfly and butterfly species.

There is a Buddleia in Thorley Wedge that in recent years usually attracted decent numbers of butterflies (and occasionally Hummingbird Hawk Moths) at this time of year; but this year, having been substantially lopped by the council, it held not a single butterfly! 

Along the way the grasslands in Thorley Wedge were incredibly dry and almost colourless; but I did see an interesting butterfly settled on a patch of thistles maybe a hundred feet or so away through my binoculars, and when I approached, saw a pristine Painted Lady butterfly, and nearby a huge hoverfly - Volucella zonaria - both of which got the photographic treatment. So, on to Southern Country Park(SCP) using the ‘back way’ via the local Sainsburys supermarket, where in previously at this time of year, I’d found Willow Emerald Damselflies and at least two Jersey Tiger Moths. However, on this occasion no sign of any damselflies, but I did find another Jersey Tiger in virtually the same location as previously.

As soon as I was into SCP, I made my way directly to the west side of the lake, hoping to find at least one Green Eyed Hawker (previously known as Norfolk Hawker) that had been recorded here in recent weeks, but not a single dragonfly stirred, and butterflies were restricted to a few Small Whites, and the odd Common Blue. Really strange. I did a circuit of the lake, but once again nothing of note was seen. So, I made my way to the Chalky Bank which looked good for butterflies, as it was smothered with Chicory, Scabious, Wild Carrot, and other wildflowers. I did a complete circuit around The Wedge, Middle Wood, and back round along the Chalky Bank from around 10.15 hrs without seeing many butterflies at all, and then suddenly, I started to see a few more Common Blues, Brown Argus, and Painted Ladies from around 10.45 hrs which then became a flood of butterflies. Common Blues were in profusion; followed by more Painted Ladies than I can recall seeing in one location (except for an amazing time in July/August when I had about 32 singletons on my Buddleia in the early 2000’s); and then many more Brown Argus than I can ever recall seeing here (or anywhere else for that matter). I was certainly in my element photographically.

I continued snapping away until I reached the spot where I began my circuit, when I noticed a bright yellow butterfly (or was it a moth?) storming past me. It took me a few seconds to realise that it was a Clouded Yellow Butterfly, which I’d never recorded in the park; and indeed, never recorded many at all locally since I moved to Stortford in 2002. Of course, I hoped that the butterfly might settle so that I could record it photographically, but it continued its strong flight up and down the track before it settled. But of course, as soon as I got anywhere near (even with the telephoto poised) it got up again; but eventually, I managed a few shots when it settled on the bare earth, amongst weeds, where it was perfectly camouflaged. It wasn’t until I processed the photos back home, when I discovered that the insect wasn’t in prime condition - its wings were sadly quite badly worn.

Feeling somewhat elated, I thought that I’d make my way back to the lake in case the warmer conditions had persuaded some dragonfly species to emerge into the bright sunlight. However, on the way I noticed another photographer taking pictures on the Chalky Bank, so I thought he’d surely like to know about the Clouded Yellow, so approached, by asking what he was trying to photograph. He replied to the effect that Common Blues were almost everywhere on the bank but were incredibly difficult to photograph as they were constantly moving from one flower to another and hardly settling for long; something I could readily appreciate, giving similar experiences that morning.

After a while, he introduced himself as Richard and informed me that he was a member of Stortford Nature (a Facebook group where he posted most of his nature photographs); but when he mentioned that his surname was Stead, I countered ……………. “Oh, I know that name…………………I hate you……………… your photos are superb;” then offered an explanation directly.

I’d often seen his photos on local natural history sites on the Web and had always been an admirer of his photography. And when I gave my surname, he said he’d seen my photography too and thought they were of a high standard. So, we knew each other’s work quite well, which for me meant a lot.

Anyway, he was interested in the Clouded Yellow, and after giving him suitable directions, we parted on good terms, with the hope that we’d soon meet up again. But later in the day he posted me a link to todays set of photographs when I learned that he’d seen several Clouded Yellows over the entire area of the Park - which seemed to include the very same ‘tatty’ individual I’d seen earlier! Seems I should have stayed with him for longer!

Because the insects were now beginning to “erupt” I returned to the lake, where I found a couple of Black-tailed Skimmers; a male Emperor Dragonfly; a few Migrant Hawkers; a single Blue-tailed Damselfly, and a lone Common Blue Damselfly; a couple of Ruddy Darters, a single Common Darter, and a Brown Hawker; but sadly, no sign of any other species ……… and certainly no Green Eyed Hawkers!! Oh, and a Terrapin showing its head above the surface of the lake – indeed, this individual has been seen many times over the past few years, evidently having been introduced by a member of the public, who should have known better. But it was certainly surviving and had grown substantially since its early days in the lake.

Later, Richard and I exchanged contact details, and he kindly offered me to accompany him on some local trips in future; and I look forward to that.

PAINTED LADY - THORLEY WEDGE

VOLUCELLA ZONARIA

JERSEY TIGER MOTH

NORTHERN REEDBED - SCP

CHALKY BANK SCP - ARRAY OF WILDLFOWERS

COMMON BLUE BUTTERFLY (M)

COMMON BLUE BUTTERFLY (M)

BROWN ARGUS BUTTERFLY (M)

SMALL HEATH BUTTERFLY

PAINTED LADY SCP

CLOUDED YELLOW BUTTERFLY

CLOUDED YELLOW BUTTERFLY

CLOUDED YELLOW - WORSE FOR WEAR

BLACK-TAILED SKIMMER

RUDDY DARTER

RUDDY DARTER

VOLUCELLA ZONARIA - SCP

GOLDFINCH

TWIST-TAIL HOVERFLY (F) ON CHICORY

TERRAPIN Sp

 































 

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 JULY 2026 - THORLEY WEDGE and SOUTHERN COUNTRY PARK (SCP) I started out from my house at 0850 hrs heading for Southern Country Park, Bi...