Sunday, April 14, 2024

 13 APRIL 2024 – THE LONGEST WALK

I’d taken note of information on the Stort Watch web site to the effect that John Slee had found a Northern Wheatear at Blount’s Farm (near Trims Green) with a Yellow Wagtail on the fields adjacent to Mathams Wood; and had decided that as neither species hadn’t been recorded locally by me in the past three years or so, I would attempt to try and find them for myself.

It’s quite a hike from my house in normal times. But these aren’t normal times for me because now, I must consider the fact that I have a deteriorating right hip, and I use a Nordic stick for support - both of which hinder me somewhat. I figured that when I’ve attempted this walk in the past, the whole round trip took me between three and four hours; but taking my recent slow progress into consideration, I should allow an extra two hours. Well, that was precisely what happened as the entire route starting at my house in Bishop’s Stortford at 9.40 a.m. and finishing back at my home at 3.45pm - just over six hours - with just two 15-minute breaks for refreshments, though mainly because I couldn’t find anywhere practical to rest.

So, from Bishops Stortford, via Moor House Farm; Mathams Wood; Blounts Farm; Shingle Hall Farm at Trims Green; over the public footpath from Trims Green to Mathams Pit; then returning to St.James’s Church in Thorley Village, and back home via Thorley Wedge. Six long hours, in increasingly warm weather.

I’d passed Moor Hall Farm on the way to Mathams Wood, where I took a short detour to look over one of the fishing lakes, with the hope of seeing some hirundines (Swallows; House, and Sand Martins) but absolutely nothing stirred, except arguably the half a dozen or so anglers. Indeed, the only birds I could see were several Canada and Grey Lag Geese. Back along the track a couple of Chiffchaffs were singing loudly, with the odd interruption from a Stock Dove whose ‘song’ was a strange gentle ‘whooping’ sound. A Red Kite I’d tried (and failed) to photograph earlier, appeared overhead, and was gone before I could set the camera. A pair of Buzzards also appeared as I came out of Mathams Wood, but my attempts at photography were stymied as they both flew higher and higher - way out of range for decent photography.

Across the road to Allen’s Green, the Northern Wheatear reported yesterday, was still in situ; the first I’d seen locally in four years. It was an extremely attractive male, but the views weren't as near as I'd have liked.

Further along the road towards Trims Green I took a right turn then across the road to take a route along the old airfield, where in previous years I’d seen several Wheatears; Yellowhammers; Whinchats and Yellow Wagtails; but the scene looked empty. As I progressed (and by this time - approaching 1.00p.m - I was beginning to lag and needed refreshment) I was suddenly aware of a wagtail calling and saw a Yellow Wagtail flying low over the field, disappearing fast into the sunlight; it looked like a male, but the views were poor. Subsequently, I had three more sightings - all poor flight views - with no views at all on the roofs of the farm buildings, as on previous occasions.

A large piece of abandoned farm machinery, offered up a suitable place to sit and enjoy my lunch while I watched a few Linnets and Small White Butterflies nearby.

I made my way through the collection of ‘workshops' where engineers were servicing some farm machinery, when suddenly a Red Kite swooped over the rooftops - it’s no exaggeration to say that I could almost reach out and touch it, the bird was that close; so I rushed to get the camera ready and fired off a stream of shots, thinking that I was going to get some of the best photographs ever. However, in my haste, I forgot to make allowances for the conditions and used the same settings I had used when photographing birds at my feeders at home. They certainly weren’t the correct settings, with the result that none of these photographs turned out to be useful. Imagine my disappointment when I began processing the work later that evening; with only a handful of photographs - taken of a more distant pair of Red Kites, later that day - were the only ones I could use. But at least it taught me a lesson - and I’ve decided to reappraise my settings generally.

Passing alongside Shingle Hall Farm, and onto Trims Green, I took the public path across the wheatfields - alive with the songs of good numbers of Skylarks - down to the fishery at Mathams Pit. On the way I encountered a singing male Common Whitethroat (a new migrant this spring), and put up a beautiful male Yellowhammer (a rarity hereabouts these days) with (another?) pair of Red Kites which tantalised in their courtship display, but never came close enough for me to get good, close photographs. One of the kites ‘accompanied’ me up to St. James’s church, where I found a welcome seat to take my second break of the day; and from there I was on the homeward trail, without recording a single hirundine.

As it turned out, this was to prove the longest walk I’ve ever undertaken locally, and given my circumstances, I seem to have come through it with no lasting effects, other than overall tiredness and extremely stiff legs!

COMMA BUTTERFLY

FORGET ME NOTS

JACKDAWS

NORTHERN WHEATEAR

PEACOCK BUTTERFLY

PRIMROSE

RED KITES

RED KITES

The following images are a taster of the Red Kite pictures I took at Shingle Hall Farm and which you can see did not turn out as I had envisaged. Had I used the correct settings, they would have been so much better I am sure. Very disappointing.







 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

25 APRIL 2024 - MALE SPARROWHAWK IN GARDEN I had just taken a few shots of the Grey Squirrel that has been frequenting my garden of late a...