Thursday, April 25, 2024

25 APRIL 2024 - MALE SPARROWHAWK IN GARDEN

I had just taken a few shots of the Grey Squirrel that has been frequenting my garden of late and was making myself a welcome cuppa (having spent the last hour processing some pictures) when I looked out onto the garden only to see a small (pigeon sized) bird on the lawn. I knew immediately what it was - a Sparrowhawk - and by its rather small size, an obvious male; and by its behaviour, clearly standing over prey, although it wasn’t possible to see what it had taken, as the raptor was facing away from me.

Luckily, the camera was very nearby, so I fired off several shots, until the bird suddenly realised that I was watching from the kitchen window and flew off into the neighbour’s Holly tree. A moment later, it was seen on the fence at the bottom of the garden, where I photographed it with its prey - a male Sparrow.

This was the third sighting of a Sparrowhawk visiting the garden since 1 March this year - an unprecedented spate if visits - and with all three, I just happened to be at the kitchen window!





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

29 APRIL 2024 - THROUGH THE ‘LOOKING GLASS’ The ‘Looking Glass’ in this context being my kitchen window, where in recent days, I’ve captur...